Our Version: Taylor Swift's Chai Sugar Cookies (Recipe)
Taylor Swift can do no wrong and when we heard about her chai sugar cookies, I HAD to create our own version using our edible and ready-to-bake "Just the dough" sugar cookie dough!
The first key to making Taylor's cookies with our cookie dough is the chai powder to really transform the dough. I used the brand Watkins organic chai powder and was very happy with the results! This chai powder is not overpowering at all and really a perfect balance of spice and sweetness.
The second key is the chai royal icing! With a few simple ingredients, you can make your very own royal icing that will harden at room temperature. 5 ingredients and all you will need is a fork to whip it all together! I made our version vegan using a plant-based milk, but feel free to use water or which ever milk you prefer.
Truly these cookies are the epitome of Fall and cozy vibes and here's how to easily make your own right from the comfort of your cozy home!
Items/Ingredients you'll need:
- Our "Just The Dough" 14oz cookie dough chub (will make 7, 2oz cookies)
- Chai Powder
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Water or your choice of plant-based or dairy milk
- 2 tbsp Corn syrup or agave
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick baking sheet
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. On a non-stick baking sheet (I recommend parchment paper) place your 2oz cookie dough scoops about 1 inch apart. I like to press the heel of my palm to the cookies to flatten them just a bit. These cookies won't spread much and I like a flatter cookie rather than a round one.
2. Sprinkle some chai powder over the bare cookie scoops then put them in the oven for 12-15 minutes. It really depends on your oven, though. I used a toaster oven and to bake 6 cookies it took about 16 minutes. Just keep an eye on your cookies and when you see the edges a little golden, you'll be good to go! What's nice about our cookie dough is that even if you over bake it a bit, they're still really tasty.
3. While the cookies are baking, let's make your royal icing. Throw your powdered sugar in a mixing bowl along with the corn syrup, milk, vanilla extract, and a few good shakes of your chai powder and mix it up with a fork. If it's too thick for your taste, simply add more liquid and if it's too runny, slowly add in more powdered sugar. The consistency is really up to you, though! I like mine on the thicker side. Set your royal icing aside.
4. Once your cookies are done, take them out and LET THEM COOL. Sorry for yelling but you'll want them cool before you put the royal icing on top. I like to throw on a little more chai powder on top, too!
5. Time to indulge!!!
I absolutely LOVE how these turned out with our "Just The Dough" cookie dough and it's always nice to have half the battle done for you already! Let me know what you think of these cookies and if you end up making them at home with our cookie dough!